Bismila-Hir Rahma-Nir Rahim
Greetings dear reader, today may the blessings of Allah be upon you and may He grant unto you His Eternal Peace.
Many are asking the question, are the Sacred Laws of Allah, the Ten Commandments, still binding upon humanity today? Every believer knows that Allah has laws which govern His creation here upon earth. In fact the entire creation made by Allah is regulated by laws. Take for example what we call the law of gravity, or the laws of avionics. You wouldn’t make a very good airplane pilot without a knowledge of these fixed laws. Then there are the laws of physics, laws of aero dynamics, and on and on. We are daily involved with laws which are fixed, whether we realize it or not. By living in harmony with these laws helps us for instance to be able to fly an aircraft safely through the sky. Knowing the law of gravity, teaches us that if you happen to carelessly drive over the edge of the road you will possibly overturn your car. Knowing and abiding by these laws of nature is a real blessing to humanity.
Then there are laws of the nations. Each known country of the world today has laws which they have chosen themselves to govern their respective nations. No one would think of living in a nation without laws. How soon this would bring chaos and destruction to all the people in the land.
Allah’s entire universe is bound by laws.
Throughout the Honored Qur’an we are reminded about Allah’s Laws… “And remember We took your covenant and We raised above you (the towering height) of Mount (Sinai): (Saying): “Hold firmly to what We have given you, and hearken (to the Law)” [the Ten Commandments written on stone]…” Sura 2:93Al-Baqara
The Laws of Allah had been previously given to our first parents else how could they know about sin? Abraham also knew of Allah’s Holy and Just laws…for it says that: “Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.” Taurat Genesis 26:5
The Laws were repeated to mankind at the Mount of Sinai in the desert when the children of Israel were being led out of Egypt by Moses.
Moses was given a copy of the Divine laws. “And We ordained laws [Ten Commandments] for him in the tablets [written on stone] in all matters, both commanding and explaining all things, (and said): “Take and hold these with firmness, and enjoin thy people to hold fast by the best in the precepts:” Sura 7:144-145 Al-Araf
The Ten Commandments in the Taurat, given to Moses
Taurat Exodus 20:1-17 King James Version
1. “Thou shalt have no other gods before me.” Exodus 20:3
2. “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above,
or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.” – Exodus 20:4-6
3. “Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.” – Exodus 20:7
4. “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work; but the seventh day [Saturday] is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.” – Exodus 20:8-11
5. “Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.” – Exodus 20:12
6. “Thou shalt not kill” – Exodus 20:13
7. “Thou shalt not commit adultery.” Exodus 20:14
8. “Thou shalt not steal.” – -Exodus 20:15
9. “Thou shalt not bear false witness [lying] against thy neighbour.” – -Exodus 20:16
10. “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his man- servant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.”-Exodus 20:17
Ten Commandments in the Honored Qur’an
1. “Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him…” Sura 17:23 Al-Isra
“If there were, in the heavens and the earth, other gods besides Allah, there would have been confusion in both…” Sura 21:22 Al-Anbiya
2. “…but shun the abomination of idols” Sura 22:30 Al-Hajj “Lo! Abraham said to his father Azar: “Takest thou idols for gods? For I see thee and thy people
in manifest error. And they set up (idols) as equal to Allah, to mislead (men) from the Path!” Sura 6:74 Al-Anaam
“And he said: “For you, ye have taken (for worship) idols besides Allah.” Sura 29:25 Al-Ankaboot
3. “The most beautiful names belong to Allah: so call on him by them; but shun such men as use profanity in his names: for what they do, they will soon be requited.” Sura 7:180 Al-Araf
4.“Your Guardian-Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in six days, and is firmly established on
the throne (of authority)… He created the sun, the moon, and the stars, (all) governed by laws under His command. Is it not His to create and to govern? Blessed be Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds!” Sura 7:54 Al-Araf
“And well ye knew those amongst you who transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath: We said to them: “Be ye apes, despised and rejected.” Sura 2:65-66 Al-Baqara
“And for their covenant we raised over them (the towering height) of Mount (Sinai); and (on another occasion) we said: “Enter the gate with humility”; and (once again) we commanded them: “Transgress not in the matter of the sabbath.” And we took from them a solemn covenant.” Sura 4:154 An-Nisa
5. “Thy Lord hath decreed that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honour.” Sura 17:23
6. “Kill not your children for fear of want: Verily the killing of them is a great sin.” “Nor take life.” Sura 17:31,33 Al-Isra “…Whether open or secret; take not life, which Allah hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus doth He command you, that ye may learn wisdom.” Sura 6:151 Al-Anaam
7. “Nor come nigh to adultery: for it is a shameful (deed) and an evil, opening the road (to other evils). Sura 17:32 Al-Isra “women…that they will not commit adultery (or fornication)”…
Sura 60:12 Al-Mumtahina
8. “that they will not steal…” Sura 60:12 Al-Mumtahina “Turn ye back to your father, and say, ‘O our father! behold! thy son committed theft! we bear witness only to what we know, and we could not well guard against the unseen!” Sura 12:81 Yusuf
“But if the thief repents after his crime, and amends his conduct, Allah turneth to him in forgiveness; for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.” Sura 5:39 Al-Maeda
9. “…shun the word that is false” Sura 22:30 Al-Hajj
“…and if he be a liar, on him is (the sin of) his lie: …Truly Allah guides not one who transgresses and lies! Sura 40:28 Al-Ghafir “Woe to the falsehood- mongers”. Sura 51:10 Adh-Dhariyat
“Behold! how they invent a lie against Allah! but that by itself is a manifest sin!” Sura 4:50 An-Nisa
“Give full measure when ye measure, and weigh with a balance that is straight: that is the most fitting and the most advantageous in the final determination.” Sura 17:35 Al-Isra
10. “And in no wise covet those things in which Allah Hath bestowed His gifts More freely on some of you than on others:” Sura 4:32 An-Nisa
“Come not nigh to the orphan’s property except to improve it…” Sura 17:34 Al-Isra
The truth is that the Law [Ten Commandments] given to Moses is found throughout the Honored Qur’an. Allah has asked all men regardless of who they are to abide by these sacred and just Laws. Yet how many even among the believers have turned a deaf ear towards the sacred Laws of Allah.
“And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.” 1 John 2:3 “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.” Ecclesiastes 12:13. Today, begin by asking Allah to help you to respect and keep all of His sacred Law.